General Convention 2018
Once again, the University of the South will be present in a big way at the General Convention of The Episcopal Church in Austin, July 5–13, 2018. This year’s theme is “Sewanee—Who Knew!” and will highlight many of Sewanee’s unique characteristics, historical facts, and whimsical lore unknown to many. All those associated with the University can participate and spread the word by dropping by Booth 511 and picking up a pin that reads, “I Knew!” On it, you can write your affiliation and date—parents of undergraduates, P’XX; college graduates, C’XX; School of Theology graduates, T’XX; EfM participants, E’XX; etc.
Reception and Book Signing
Among the many events planned, the University will host a book signing at the J. W. Marriott on July 7 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. This reception will showcase all of the recent publications by several members of our faculty and staff including the Rev. Dr. William Brosend, the Rev. Dr. Julia Gatta, and Mary Parmer.
A reception and dinner will be held at Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, located on Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas, from 7 to 9 p.m. on July 10. If you received an invitation and wish to pay and RSVP online, you may do so here.
Members of our faculty and staff will be available for conversation at various times during the convention. Below is the tentative schedule:
- July 5, 1–4 p.m. — Karen Meridith, Executive Director for Education for Ministry
- July 5, 11 a.m.–Noon — William Brosend, Professor of New Testament
- July 6, 12–1 p.m.— Hannah Pommershiem, The Slavery Project
- July 6, 1:30 p.m. — Walker Adams, Recruiting Specialist for SUMMA
- July 6, 4–5:30 p.m. — Karen Meridith, Interim Director of the Beecken Center
- July 7, 10–11 a.m. — William Brosend, Professor of New Testament
- July 7, 1-4 p.m. — Eduardo Solomón Rivera, Managing Editor of EfM-LatinX Edition (Director Editorial, Educación para la Formación en el Ministerio Laical)
- July 8, 12–2pm — Mary Parmer, Director of Invite Welcome Connect
- July 8, Noon–3 p.m. — Joshua Booher, Associate Director of EfM and EfM Online
- July 9, 10–11 a.m. — Caroline Carson, Church Music Program
- July 9, 1–3 p.m. — Walker Adams, Recruiting Specialist for the School of Theology
- July 10, 12–1 p.m. — Andy Thompson, Center for Religion and Environment
- July 10, 1–2 p.m. — Andy Thompson, Non-Degree Theological Studies Program