Parish Financial Management Seminar
Hamilton Hall, Rm. 239, –
Stephen Burnett and Bonnie Burgess will lead a three-hour presentation at The School of Theology on “Financial Management Challenges in Parishes” on April 9, 2013, at 8:50–11:45 a.m. in Room 239 in Hamilton Hall. This seminar is open to the public and is sponsored by the Rose Fund.
Stephen Burnett is chair of the finance committee of the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, a retired Deloitte partner, and a trustee of the University of the South. Bonnie Burgess is director of administration and finance for the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, having served for 20 years as an executive with the Bank of America.
Using real-life examples to illustrate the responsibilities of clergy and vestries for financial management in parishes, the presentation will be most useful for clergy, vestry members, treasurers, seminary students, and parish administrators.
- Canonical requirements.
- Financial roles and responsibilities within the parish.
- Internal control and accountability.
- Common elements that make for a fraud environment.
- Clerical leadership regarding internal control.
- Audit plans and requirements.
- Basics of budgeting and reading and interpreting financial statements.
Prerequisite reading – Manual of Business Methods in Church Affairs, which can be downloaded from the website of the Episcopal Church in the USA.