Assistant to the Rector, Greenwood, Va.
Assistant to the Rector
Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Greenwood Parish
Diocese of Virginia
We seek a lover of souls to serve as our assistant to the rector: a priest or transitional deacon who is passionately and contagiously in love with our Lord Jesus, who wants to work collegially with the rector, staff, and parish; and who believes and exudes that Christ’s mission and ministry in the 21st century are an exciting adventure. Our congregation wants to embrace and love you for years to come.
Emmanuel, Greenwood, is a healthy, vibrant, church, with huge potential for growth in numbers, discipleship, and outreach. We are 150 years young, in western Albemarle County near the town of Crozet, at the foot of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. This is an area of spectacular natural beauty, wonderful outdoor recreation opportunities, yet only minutes away from a thriving university town. Located between Charlottesville and Waynesboro, Crozet is a designated growth area for Albemarle County, expected to triple in population in the next decade or two. Our Colonial Revival church and parish hall were rebuilt in 1915. We have no debt, and a healthy endowment that is dedicated to outreach.
Our parishioners are a mix of local families (some here for generations); new residents (lots of young families), many who work in Charlottesville; and active empty-nest retirees, including many at the Wintergreen four-season resort community. With Charlottesville’s growth in the past decades, our identity has evolved from a small, quiet, rural church to a more bustling congregation with more families, more programs, and a desire for more discipleship, more formation for all ages, more meaningful outreach, and more involvement in the community. We had two priests on our staff from 2005 to 2012. When our previous Rector retired in 2012, our last Assistant also departed. Our new rector needs the support of another priest to help us regain our momentum.
We expect you to --
1. Live, teach, and proclaim the faith with joy and love.
2. Create and lead programs to attract, reach out to, and follow up with visitors and newcomers, supporting them in their transition to active discipleship.
3. Develop and implement a coordinated vision for forming Christian disciples of all ages, working with the Director of Christian Formation and our engaged Christian Formation committees. Help teach adults and teens. Help recruit, train, equip, and support formation volunteers for all ages.
4. Provide focus, leadership, and support for our outreach ministry. We provide financial support to over 30 mission partners, but we have active involvement with only a handful. Help organize, preach, teach, and facilitate the transition to more focused and hands-on service and mission to the local community.
5. Share all aspects of active parish ministry: sacramental life, preaching, teaching, pastoral care for all ages, and parish administration. Work collegially with our rector and staff as you and the parish both grow and develop together.
6. Have fun. Stay healthy. Enjoy this beautiful area, our life together, and your ministry.
We seek an assistant to the rector who wants to put down roots here, to love us and be loved by us. We are in this for the long haul. This is a full-time position, but we will consider exceptionally-qualified applicants interested in part-time employment. Compensation will comply with the Diocese of Virginia guidelines (NTE salary tier for priests with up to 3 years’ experience) and includes family health coverage. Housing may by cash allowance or could be a residence on the church grounds.
This is a full time position.
There is no deadline for applications to this position.
For more information, please email the rector at the following address: email@example.com
To apply, please provide (as PDF files sent by e-mail): a cover letter introducing yourself and explaining what excites you about this position; a résumé; a spiritual autobiography; and your OTM portfolio with references.
Direct nominations, applications, and questions to the rector. We hope to call an assistant to begin work in June or July 2015, but we will receive applications until we find the right candidate. We will not call references without telling you first.
The Rev. Christopher Garcia, Rector
Emmanuel Church, Greenwood Parish, PO Box 38, Greenwood VA 22943
Posted March 30th, 2015.