Associate Chaplain, Tyler, Tex.
All Saints Episcopal School
Diocese of Texas
All Saints Episcopal School seeks an associate chaplain for the 2015 - 2016 school year. It is the only school in East Texas accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest, a member school of both the National Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Episcopal Schools. The student body represents the growing diversity of East Texas with over 20 denominations and faiths represented.
The associate chaplain’s primary responsibility will be pastoral care, chapel services, and faith formation classes in the lower school division. Additionally, the associate chaplain will teach religion in the Intermediate and Middle School divisions. The associate chaplain will work cooperatively with the senior chaplain to provide pastoral care and support to students, families, faculty, and staff of the All Saints community.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Have a religion or theology degree
- Lay person or an ordained priest in the Episcopal Church
- Experience working with young people in a school and/or parish setting preferred
- Possess demonstrated preaching expertise to young children
- Possess excellent experience and knowledge of the needs of young children as learners
- Possess knowledge of the pastoral care needs of young children and their families
- Have the ability to apply religious teaching to the lives of students and faculty among diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrate the ability to express the Episcopalian faith in ways that are open to and inclusive of the various religious and cultural beliefs and practices present in the All Saints community
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theories and practicalities involved in providing pastoral care to the school community
- Have excellent collaboration and team-building skills
- Be self-motivated, flexible, and a good problem-solver
- Possess excellent communication, listening, and organizational skills
- Essential Functions:
- Effective management and oversight of spiritual programming in the Lower School
- Develop Chapel themes for the school year
- Create communication pieces for the Lower School that reflect Episcopal identity
- Ensure Chapel liturgy has integrity and relevance for the Lower School
- Implement opportunities for student involvement in services
- Provide prayers at Lower School meetings and events
- Oversight of spiritual celebrations
- Develop and teach faith formation curriculum for Lower School
- Participate in the community service programs in the Lower School
- Make hospital, home visitations, and condolence calls
- Meet with School Counselor, Lower School Head, and School Nurse weekly for Student Support Resource Team to address the social/emotional needs of the Lower School student body
Please send a letter of interest and resume to The Reverend Thomas Morris, School Chaplain, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Saints Episcopal School: Located in Tyler, Texas, midway between Dallas and Shreveport, All Saints is a co-ed independent day school of approximately 700 students in grades 3K - 12. Founded by Christ Episcopal Church in 1976, the school enjoyed rapid growth and is among a premier group of college preparatory schools in East Texas, and the only one accredited by the Independent School Association of the Southwest and an NAIS member. All graduates matriculate to colleges or universities, many among the most selective in the nation. Much of the school’s success may be attributed to effective advancement work which rapidly grew enrollment to over 700 in the last decade and secured a 150 acre campus and funded state of the art facilities.
In the spirit of “bricks and mortar do not a school make,” All Saints’ great strength is the tremendous passion the educators, students, parents, friends, and trustees have for the school. It is a wonderful school and community in which to work and a great opportunity for new faculty.
This is a full time position.
Applications for this position are due March 20th, 2015.
For more information, please visit http://www.all-saints.org/Page/About-Us/Careers.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume and ministry profile to The Rev. Thomas Morris, email@example.com.
Posted February 21, 2015.