Assistant Priest for Children, Youth, and Family Ministry
St. James Episcopal Church
Diocese of Upper South Carolina
The assistant priest for children, youth, and family ministry will be responsible for developing, coordinating and administering an effective and comprehensive ministry to approximately 100 children, youth and their families, with a particular focus on youth between grades 6-12.
Summary of Position
St. James is an Episcopal church in Greenville, South Carolina with over 100 children and youth. We are seeking a full-time assistant priest for children, youth and family ministry who is called to take a leadership role in programming and administering Christian education for children and youth. The focus of this ministry is to help the children and youth at St. James to deepen their relationship with God in Christ.
The assistant priest for children, youth and family ministry will be responsible for developing, coordinating and administering an effective and comprehensive ministry to approximately 100 children, youth and their families, with a particular focus on youth between grades 6-12, consistent with St. James’ mission statement: St. James Episcopal Church is above all, a welcoming, caring community. We are dedicated to worship, outreach, fellowship and growth in the service of Christ.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Foster faith formation among parish youth to help them develop as Christians and to live out the good news of the Gospel in their daily lives.
2. Initiate, implement, and oversee religious curriculum development, consistent with the Episcopal Church, to meet the particular needs of parish children, youth and their families.
3. Develop personal relationships with youth by creating a welcoming, fun and inclusive culture, being a friend and positive role model, and providing spiritual counseling as needed; also develop close ties with parents to support youth faith formation.
4. Plan and coordinate camps, conferences, retreats and trips, and participate in and encourage involvement in diocesan youth activities and with other parishes.
5. Identify, develop and disciple youth leaders, create opportunities for youth to be involved in worship and ministry as approved by the staff, and recruit, train, and motivate volunteers to assist in children, youth and family ministry.
6. Take primary responsibility for planning and leading Sunday night youth group meetings that are exciting, fun, and develop a sense of Christian community.
7. Take primary responsibility for planning and leading Sunday morning youth group studies between the 9:00 and 11:00 services.
8. Communicate program information to youth, parents, and the parish at large through a variety of media in a timely fashion, including social media and a youth calendar.
9. Collaborate with the Children’s Education Commission and Youth Commission in their effort to help develop, organize and oversee programs; specific duties to include preparing an annual budget/report and maintaining a multi-year plan.
10. Integrate youth program activities into the broader set of parish outreach activities.
11. Attend various sporting events, concerts and productions at local middle schools and high schools to support members of the youth group in their activities.
12. Build stronger relationships with youth and parents through appropriate texting and social media.
13. Represent St. James in the wider Christian and local community by serving on appropriate denomination committees and community organizations.
14. Assist in administering general parish electronic communication and social media.
15. Assist in sacramental ministry to the parish at large.
16. Preach and provide pastoral care as part of a regular rotation.
17. Perform other duties and tasks as requested by the Rector.
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Abilities
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university.
2. A candidate for a Masters in Divinity with a strong record of academic performance.
3. A candidate for Holy Orders in the Episcopal Church.
4. A well-grounded and robust Christian faith, with the ability to articulate it to young people.
5. A demonstrated commitment to working with children, young people, and parents.
6. Outstanding leadership and relationship skills for educating, inspiring, and empowering young people, teachers, volunteers, parents, and reaching out to newcomers.
7. Prior experience in youth ministry, children’s and family ministry, and/or Christian education and formation is especially welcomed.
8. High integrity, sound judgment in challenging situations, ability to make quick decisions, grace under pressure, collaborative leadership, and a good sense of humor.
1. Position is full time and includes weeknights, weekends, and multi-day summer trips.
2. Position requires a driver who owns a car with insurance and a safe driving record.
3. Position comes with an expense account, travel allowance, and continuing education allowance.
4. Position reports directly to the rector.
5. Competitive salary and benefits.
6. Employment is contingent on successful completion of background check and Episcopal approval.
This is a full time position.
St. James Episcopal Church accepts rolling admissions.
1. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of references.
2. After the rector screens these materials, applicants of interest will be sent a series of questions to answer.
3. After these responses are reviewed, the Rector will schedule Skype interviews with candidates that are to go forward in the process.
4. The final step of the process is an onsite interview with the Youth Commission, Children’s Education Commission, members of the vestry and the
5. All correspondence should be forwarded to:
The Rev. Stephen J. Rhoades, Rector
St. James Episcopal Church
301 Piney Mountain Road
Greenville, SC 29609
Posted on January 15th, 2015.